How Your URL Structure Matters In Ranking
It has been a long time since we discussed about the URL structure of a website. What are the best practices for structuring URLs? Well, there is no rule if you speak of Google because if you keenly observe Google, you will find that it shows a dynamic URL while searching and this also holds true in case of all the ecommerce websites that are ranking well. Examples include Amazon, ebay, Flipkart, Snapdeal and more…
At this moment, you might be thinking that if is there no rule for a URL structure, then why the hell am I reading this blog, but let me tell you one thing: when your website becomes a brand, then it doesn’t really matter a lot. Having SEO friendly URLs, whether the website is following SEO guide lines, and the loading score do not matter a lot because Google ranks the websites in terms of their brand and the visitors. If more visitors land on your website or more visitors search for your brand by typing its name directly in the search box, then Google or other search engines give more preference to those websites.
However, when it comes to small business websites or small brands, i.e. those that are getting 7-8k monthly visits, it becomes important for them to follow Google guidelines. That’s why we are discussing here about the best SEO practices for structuring URLs:
- Easy to read URLs: Easy to read and meaningful URLs help people in having a better understanding about the page and its content.
- Keywords in URLs:
a.Keywords/anchor text in URLs help those who see your URL in the social media sites, emails, and land your website through those referrals
b.Research has shown that anchor text in a URL gives exact match result while searching
- Dynamic Parameters: Many of the webmasters suggest ignoring the dynamic parameters of URLs and it actually doesn’t harm your ranking if you are not a big brand and you choose to ignore the parameters. At the end, it is entirely up to you: if you want to put dynamic parameters in your URLs, it is not a bad step at all.
- Ideal length of the URL: The ideal length of a URL should be between 3-5 words, including http://www…. But if you are getting higher click-through rate for your long URLs, there is no need to change it.
Note:In SEO, there is no rule for URL length.
- Case Sensitive: It is ideal to use small letters in your URLs .
Good Practice: /page.html
Wrong practice: /Page.html
- Hyphens and Underscores in URL separators: It would be great if you use – or _ in URL separators. Try to ignore %20 in URL separators.
- Schema in URLs : Proper schema in URLs help search engines in getting them indexed and it also helps the users in understanding things better.
Whatever points we have discussed above cannot be taken at face value; however, if you are not a big brand, you must follow these steps for obtaining a better ranking.